Earlier this week we received word that our neighbor and friend, Dr. Jim Asher, passed away. Dr. Asher and his wife Annamae had recently relocated to Missouri to be closer to a daughter. Fortunately for all of us, prior to their move they made arrangements with an adjacent farm owner to maintain the house and farmland and by all reports their property will not be sold for redevelopment . Dr. Asher’s healing hands touched many. From a small office in New Augusta, Dr. Asher took over a practice established in the 1800’s by his father, possibly one of the first medical practices in Pike Township.
He loved the rural character of the area and resisted numerous opportunities to sell any portion of his 100 + acre property; which lies on both sides of Moore Road. But recently he and his wife made arrangements to donate a portion of their farm for the expansion of the Old Pleasant Hill Cemetery, which their property surrounds on two sides. Their donation carried with it a small request; that a family plot be established there for the Ashers. His home is mentioned in the Multiple Property Listing as the Moore-Asher House (1879) referring to the original owner, Tolbert Moore for whom the road is named. The report indicates the property has significance for both the agricultural and estate periods and that it may be eligible for National Registry listing.