Tuesday, April 05, 2005
Here’s the information provided on the project (as it registered with me –a non-engineering type so the details of construction may have escaped me):
Rick Brost of Indianapolis Department of Public Works is the Senior Project Engineer (327-2306) (pager 367-2673)
Imelda Oglesby is the DPW Neighborhood Coordinator and she said to please call her with any concerns about the project as it proceeds. (327-5238)
The project construction is to be done by Gohmann Asphalt and Construction Company which was the low bidder. Mr. Steve Robertson is the company’s superintendent. (If there was a business card available for him, I didn’t get it.)
The bridge was originally constructed in 1947 with riprap added around its foundation in 1997 to control erosion. Mr. Brost said that structurally the bridge is in good condition which is why it doesn’t have to be replaced but can be rehabilitated. The project will include removal of the side concrete railing, the driving surface asphalt, and guard rails. The finished bridge will look as the original did with “Texas” style concrete railing–the open ovals in the side concrete work.
The price tag on the project is $560,000 of which 80% is federally funded and the remaining 20% is state money.
In order to accomplish the bridge rehabilitation, West 86th approaching the bridge from its east side and beyond Moore Road on the west side of the bridge will be entirely closed to traffic. The closure of the road is thought to begin April 18, 2005. The stated contractor’s completion date is set for October 15, 2005, but Mr. Robertson of Gohmann Asphalt said he expects the project to be completed by mid September. There was talk of possible repair work on the support piers in the creek, and the construction on the driving surface may appear done but the bridge not open to traffic while work is done underneath the bridge.
The daily work hours for the construction workers are 7 AM to 3:30 PM. (That’s more civilized than the midnight clanging from the construction ongoing at the 86th – 465 bridge.)
The official detour routes are Lafayette Road south to 71st Street then east to Zionsville Road and north to 86th Street (and the reverse). Road closure ahead, detour ahead, and road closed to local traffic signs will be placed as necessary at Lafayette Road and 86th Street and at 86th and Zionsville with appropriate signs at the junctures of the detour routes.
On a final note, I approached Mr. Brost and told him of our Greater Traders Point area clean up of roadside trash last Saturday. I also advised him of how unhappy residents have been with the huge amount of trash left by the Water Company construction crews along Moore north of 86th to 96th. Mr. Brost assured me he would make special mention to the workers not to leave trash, and he told me he would personally be observing the project site several times per week. I promised him I’d let him know if I receive complaints about workers leaving trash. He made his business card with phone numbers readily available if anyone has dissatisfaction with the workers’ conduct.