Pike’s African-American residents can trace their families’ roots in the township for a century or more. One such symbol of the one hundred plus year history of African-Americans living in and near Traders Point is Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church.
Located at approximately 6000 N. Reed Road in Eagle Creek Park is this plaque on a rock located at the north end of a picnic area. “This plaque is a special tribute to the past generations who build and utilized this church from 1893 to 1972. Mt. Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church was founded in Pike Township in 1893 and was built on this site in 1930. As Eagle Creek Park developed, the congregation relocated to the present site at 5111 West 62nd Street. To the present and future generations this is a monument of their faith in God and hope for the betterment of mankind. Erected 1994. “